Wednesday, February 3, 2010

labels

We get and give labels so automatically that we barely think of them. For the past few days I have been thinking about the labels we give to ourselves.

I sat in a room of strangers recently and listened carefully to these individuals describe themselves. The words they used were so old and tired and painful. The words hurt me to hear.

I have been struggling with identity lately. I happen to think this is a common struggle. A secret struggle. And as I sat and listened to someone describe herself in such a sad way, I started to think more about how I think about myself.

I am not brave enough to tell you the words that popped into my head. But I will tell you I did not like them one bit. So on my way to work this morning I came up with a new list. As I was creating my list the Comforter brought to mind something I read just last week:

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called
children of God; and so we are. I John 3:1

Over and over the Bible shows us the power of words. I love that the world was created with a word. And just because I am called a daughter – so I am. Amazing.

I am a daughter of the Creator God. I am an adventurer – ready to explorer the world. I am a maker – when I create the Creator meets me (wait until you see the hat I am knitting). I am an amateur baker, a dreamer, a lover of all things good.

Who are you?

1 comment:

Sparks said...

From one of my favorite fiction books: "the words [of the Great Tongue] were not given their meaning by skill, or chance, or long tradition, but truly inherent in them..." Labels can be like that: some given meaning by skill, some by chance, and some by long tradition -- and sometimes the meaning is inherent in the labels themselves, if they be true. Not all labels are "false." But some only have meaning by chance. (I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I haven't read for a while...)